EXTRA! EXTRA! ACTIVITIES
Explore the magic of theatre and enhance your family’s experience through our “Extra! Extra!” program, which offers a family-friendly workshop or event either before or after every performance. Events are designed to give young theatre-goers a behind-the-scenes look at how theatre is produced, an exploration of themes in the works they are seeing, and opportunities to meet and interact with cast members. And the events are FREE to all ticket-holders!
Wheelock Family Theatre staff lead a fun and challenging free workshop before every Friday evening performance. Workshops are designed to be age-appropriate, and might include music, choreography, costume crafts, and more.
Tour from the Seats
After every Saturday matinee, our directors, designers, and actors give audience members a behind-the-scenes peek into how shows are put together.
Wheelock Red Carpet
Audience members can meet the cast up close and chat informally in the lobby after every Sunday matinee.
Admission to these programs is free for ticket-holders, but reservations are recommended as space is limited; contact the Box Office at 617-879-2300 or email email@example.com to reserve your space.
KNOW THE SHOW
Access Our Study Guides
Parents and teachers can enrich their children’s theatre experience with our Study Guides, prepared with helpful background information for each production and available for download from the For Educators page of our website two weeks before the opening of each show.
Review a Performance
Young people are invited to review our productions and share their thoughts on Wheelock Family Theatre and the performances they’ve seen. Visit the WHEE!News Blog to join in the dialogue.
GATHER WITH US
Dinner at Wheelock on Fridays
Too busy to cook dinner before coming to the theatre on Friday evenings? Have dinner with us! Patrons on Friday nights can have dinner here at Wheelock. For only $10.00 per person, Sodexo Dining Services offers a delectable buffet in the College's new CCSR building. Call the Box Office at 617-879-2300 for more information and to reserve your seat.
Pajama Party Fridays
A Friday evening performance at Wheelock Family Theatre can be the perfect bedtime story for your child. Dress them in their "jammies" and their tickets are only $15. Adult tickets are sold at the regular ticket prices of $30, $25, or $20. Call the Box Office at 617-879-2300 to reserve your Pajama Party Friday tickets.
Celebrate a Birthday
Make your child’s next birthday truly special. We offer several different birthday celebrations, so you can select the one that’s just right for your child and his or her friends.
- Your group will enjoy a 2.5-hour participatory drama workshop, which includes elements of acting, improvisation, movement, music, and a treasure trunk of costumes. We’ll supply a private room large enough for theatre games and with tables and chairs for any birthday set-up. Two of our teaching artists will lead the workshop in dramatic play and improvisation. It’s a great way to inspire the mind and body — and have fun too! $50 per student
- We can provide a one-hour participatory drama workshop for your group before any of our mainstage performances. The workshop, which will connect drama games and improvisations to specific elements from that production, and our teaching artist will highlight the fun and creative choices made by actors, designers, and musicians. $25 per student (plus the cost of the ticket)
- Your group can enjoy a 30-minute backstage tour immediately following a weekend performance. This peek-behind-the-curtain will take you onto the stage, through the dressing rooms, up to the lighting booth, and through the wardrobe and properties storage. Bring your cameras! $15 per person (plus the cost of the ticket)
For all parties, the workshop/birthday room is yours for an additional hour to enjoy your cake and festivities. All food, tableware, or decorations must be provided by the patron. Juices, sodas, or water are allowed; alcohol is prohibited. Birthday workshops and tours work best for parties of 10-20 youth. Birthday workshops/tours do not include the cost of tickets to the performance, but tickets can be purchased at group rates.
For more information, or to make a reservation, call the Box Office at 617-879-2300, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Improving the Lives of Children and Families
As a private college with a public mission, Wheelock strives to be the premier college educating people to create a safe, caring, and just world for children and families. As we have since 1888, we contribute to the vitality of families, communities, and societies by:
- Educating students who are well prepared academically and as practitioners with real-world experience—ready to be leaders and advocates, confident in their abilities, and sought after in a wide range of careers
- Advocating for programs, policies, and laws that enhance the quality of life for children and families
Each actor helps capture the attention and imagination of the young crowd…there was plenty of laughter all-round to go with the lesson about friendship, and that's the most important thing.
–Theater Mirror’s Janine DeSousa, writing about Charlotte’s Web